Technological developments have given parents and their adult children new options to support living at home longer in a safer environment. Devices and Internet-based solutions are available to keep an unobtrusive, high-tech eye on family members.
- Electronic Home Monitoring Systems
- Appliance Alert Systems
- Stove and oven have automatic shutoffs
- Reports if normal routine e.g. coffee maker is not followed
- Personal Emergency Response Systems
- Portable telephone / cell phone
- Display phones for reading the callers conversation
- Touch-screen home monitoring systems
- Alarm systems bedside, in bathrooms, or throughout entire homes
- Medical alert
- Alert of a fall reminder for medications
Look for individual vendors to have won specific safety awards for the design of their product.
- Describe the situation at home with the loved one and major concerns:
- Daily routine
- Diagnosis of illnesses
- Needs on a daily/weekly basis
- Describe the home itself and access to appliances; phone; television
Know the length of time company has been in business.
Review outstanding complaints with the BBB.
Understand requirements of the contract for the technology:
- What is the term
- How can I get out of the contract upon dysfunctionality or death
- What happens in case of flood or fire
- Have penalty fees defined
- Who owns the equipment?
Request your exact desire of technology for possibility of being referred to something better than what your calling about.